Sickness (notes) Certificates and GP Letters

How do I get a Sick Note?

If you require a fit note/sick note due to isolating because you either have symptoms of COVID-19 or someone in your household has symptoms, you can now apply for an isolation note.

Click the link below to complete this form which can then be emailed to your employer. There is also information for those in receipt of benefits.

Isolation note

The ‘Fit Note’

The ‘fit note’ replaced the doctor’s sick note on 6 April 2010. With your employer’s support, the note may help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury. 

You must request a sick note via an E-consultation (see Home page)

As of Monday 25th February 2019 the Duty Team are unable to arrange a sick note. All requests must be made via the E-consult system found on our home page.

Your request for a sick note will be checked by a Doctor. In some cases you will need to be seen by a Doctor before the sick note can be issued.

A sick note can take up to two working days to be actioned.

We will contact you once the sick note is ready to collect.

Short-term sickness

If you are off sick from work for less than 7 days, you do not need to obtain a sick note from the doctor. Please speak to your employer, who will be able to give you a form for Self Certification.

Long-term sickness

If you are off sick for a long period and you need repeat sick notes then please try to see the doctor who issued your original sick note. Please speak to the GP in advance of the date your note is due as we cannot issue continuation notes on the day.

Fit for Work Certificate

It is not necessary to have a Doctor’s certificate until you have been absent continuously from work for seven days including weekends. After three days you must obtain a self-certificate (SC2) from your employer. If your employer insists on a private certificate for an illness of less than seven days duration then the Doctor will charge a fee of £15. If your illness continues for more than seven days then under the NHS your GP can issue an official statement (Med3) “fit to work certificate” to confirm your illness.

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

Your employer can ask you to confirm that you've been ill.You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. This is called self-certification.

If you're sick and off work for more than seven days, your employer will probably ask for proof of your illness. Most employers ask for a fit note from your GP.

However, this will also depend on your employer's company policy on sick leave (or sickness absence). This policy should tell you how many days you can be off sick before you need to provide proof of illness or a fit note.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work - ’Fit Note'

The 'fit note' was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced)

Private Letters Policy  

GPs are not employed by the NHS; they are self-employed and therefore have to cover the costs of running their business. The Governments contract with GPs covers medical services to NHS patients, however there are areas of a GPs work that are not included within the funding from the NHS and therefore a fee may be charged to the patient for completing this work (examples of private work could include a holiday cancellation forms or an insurance report).

If you have a form that requires completion by a GP, please hand in to reception along with your correct contact details. A member of the admin team will then contact you before the form is completed to let you know the exact fee.

We regret that due to current time constraints and pressures, we are no longer able to provide patients with GP letters (for example, to support a housing application or a gym membership cancellation).

For more information on why some GP work is classed as private, rather than NHS, please see guidance published by the British Medical Association here.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website